Roma and Sinti
The OSCE promotes the rights of Roma and Sinti through projects on political participation, education, housing, civil registration, combating racism and discrimination, and protecting the rights of displaced persons. The key document driving OSCE activities on Roma and Sinti is the Action Plan on Improving the Situation of Roma and Sinti within the OSCE Area.
The OSCE Office for Democratic Institutions and Human Rights appoints the OSCE Contact Point for Roma and Sinti Issues, who works with national and local governments, civil society and international organizations to promote equal opportunities for, and the protection of the human rights of all Roma and Sinti.
A number of field operations also work on Roma and Sinti issues. Their efforts include:
- Projects to help protect the rights of Roma and Sinti;
- Supporting authorities in their commitments related to Roma and Sinti issues;
- Supporting national strategies for displaced Roma and Sinti;
- Assisting in integration, empowerment and civic participation of Roma and Sinti;
- Teaching targeted courses and fostering the importance of education;
- Strengthening relationships between Roma and Sinti and local and national authorities, as well as human rights institutions;
- Increasing political participation of Roma and Sinti; and
- Improving housing situations of Roma and Sinti.