Helsinki Final Act signed by 35 participating States
Forming the backbone of the Organization's activities, the Final Act covers several themes:
- Sovereign equality, respect for the rights inherent in sovereignty
- Refraining from the threat or use of force
- Inviolability of frontiers
- Territorial integrity of States
- Peaceful settlement of disputes
- Non-intervention in internal affairs
- Respect for human rights and fundamental freedoms (including the freedom of thought, conscience, religion or belief)
- Equal rights and self-determination of peoples
- Co-operation among States, and Fulfillment in good faith of obligations under international law.
The participating States divided the CSCE's areas of activity into three dimensions (or baskets). The first dimension covers political and military aspects of security. The second dimension comprises economic and environmental aspects of security, including economic development, science, technology and environmental protection. The third dimension involves human aspects of security.