Training on practical tools of online journalism and digital security
A series of workshops as part of the project on supporting the development of online journalism is aimed at journalists who are willing to improve their online media skills.
The workshops will cover the following issues:
- trends in online media
- advantages and disadvantages of the popular web-analytics systems
- behaviour of online media readers
- balance between journalistic ethics and readership ratings
- basics of cyber security
- tools for secure communications
- how to stay safe in social media
- why visual content matters
- rules for multimedia storytelling, photo and video ethics
- minimum equipment needed for audio-visual stories
- social media as source of information and platform for material promotion
- adherence to ethical standards
- comments administration
The workshops take place on the basis of a hub principle where participants from the neighbouring regions are invited to one of the regional hubs. The schedule of training sessions is the following:
- Lviv: 6-7 November – for participants from Lviv, Zakarpattya, Volyn, Rivne, Ivano-Frankivsk, Khmelnytsky, Ternopil and Chernivtsi oblasts. Application deadline is 31 October 2014
- Kyiv: 13-14 November – for participants from Kyiv, Sumy, Poltava, Chernigiv, Cherkasy, Zhytomyr and Vinnytsya oblasts. Application deadline is 7 November 2014
- Odesa: 20-21 November - for participants from Odesa, Mykolaiv, Kherson and Kirovograd oblasts. Application deadline is 14 November 2014
- Dnipropetrovsk: 27-28 November - for participants from Donetsk, Kharkiv, Lugansk, Dnipropetrovsk and Zaporizhzhia oblasts. Application deadline is 21 November 2014
Correspondents and editors of both online and traditional media using online tools in their work are invited to participate. Priority will be given to online media reporters, National Union of Journalists’ members and journalists willing to share knowledge, experiences and information.
For participation, Ukraine’s media professionals are requested to submit a motivation letter on why they want to participate in the training, brief bio, and name of the media outlet they represent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
For participants coming from outside venue city, accommodation for 2 nights and travel reimbursement will be provided. Space is limited.
For more information please contact Yaroslava Kosareva at (044) 234-52-09, (044) 235-87-66.
The Project “Support to the Development of Online Journalism in Ukraine” is implemented upon request of the National Union of Journalists and Commission of Journalists Ethics with the support of the State Committee on Television and Radio Broadcasting. The Project aims to enhance the knowledge of the Ukrainian media community of practical tools and ethical standards of online journalism.