On 10 August 1995, the OSCE Chairman-in-Office appointed a Personal Representative of the Chairperson-in-Office on the Conflict Dealt with by the OSCE Minsk Conference.Ambassador Andrzej Kasprzyk of Poland was appointed Personal Representative in January 1997, after having been Acting Personal Representative since July 1996.
Prior to his appointment, he served as a senior Polish diplomat in Cuba and Zimbabwe, where he was Ambassador and head of the embassy. The high-level contacts and intimate knowledge of the region that Ambassador Kasprzyk has built up over the past 14 years are invaluable for achieving a peace settlement consistent with the reality on the ground.
The Personal Representative of the Chairperson-in-Office on the Conflict Dealt with by the OSCE Minsk Conference, based in Tbilisi, Georgia, represents the CiO in issues related to the conflict in and around Nagorno-Karabakh, assists the CiO in achieving an agreement on the cessation of the armed conflict and in creating conditions for the deployment of an OSCE peace-keeping operation.
- Represent the OSCE Chairman-in-Office in issues related to the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict, assist the CiO in achieving an agreement on the cessation of the armed conflict and in creating conditions for the deployment of an OSCE peace-keeping operation, in order to facilitate a lasting comprehensive political settlement of the conflict in all its aspects;
- Report on all aspects of his activities to the CiO of the OSCE, report through the CiO to the Co-Chairmanship of the OSCE Minsk Conference and, as appropriate, to the Minsk Group, and receive instructions from the CiO;
- Assist the Co-Chairmanship at its request;
- Assist the High-Level Planning Group in planning an OSCE peace-keeping operation in accordance with the Budapest Summit Decisions;
- Assist the parties in implementing and developing confidence-building, humanitarian and other measures facilitating the peace process, in particular by encouraging direct contacts;
- Co-operate, as appropriate, with representatives of the United Nations and other international organizations operating in the area of conflict.