VIENNA, 13 February 2014 – OSCE Representative on Freedom of the Media Dunja Mijatović today condemned yet another attack on daily newspaper Vijesti in Montenegro.
“I am extremely concerned about journalists’ safety in Montenegro. Today’s attack adds to the already very dangerous trend of violence and hostility toward members of the media in the country,” said Mijatović.
On Thursday morning a company car of Vijesti was set on fire in Podgorica. Today’s attack is the fifth instance on which a car from Vijesti was destroyed.
“I urge the authorities to condemn and investigate this incident, yet another one in a series of attacks on Montenegrin journalists. The country’s authorities must understand how serious of an issue this trend of violence against journalists is, and urgently address the situation of impunity,” said Mijatović.
Mijatović also said she was looking forward to visiting Montenegro soon in order to discuss all media freedom concerns.
The Representative has previously condemned attacks against Vijesti on several occasions: