OSCE Permanent Council Decision No. 797 of 21 June 2007 renamed the Centre in Almaty to the Centre in Astana. According to its new mandate, the Centre in Astana shall:
- Promote the implementation of OSCE principles and commitments as well as co operation of Kazakhstan in all three OSCE dimensions within the OSCE framework approach to co-operative security and in the regional context;
- Facilitate contacts and promote information exchange between the authorities of Kazakhstan and the Chairman in Office and OSCE executive structures and institutions, as well as co-operation with international organizations;
- Establish and maintain contacts with central and local authorities, universities and research institutes of the host country, as well as representatives of civil society and NGOs;
- Assist in arranging OSCE regional events, inter alia, regional seminars and visits to the area by OSCE delegations, as well as other events with OSCE participation;
- Provide assistance to the Government of Kazakhstan, such as raising awareness on OSCE activities, training of designated Kazakh officials, and providing advice on the OSCE to relevant official structures, facilitate information exchange between OSCE institutions and relevant state agencies on OSCE activities.