The OSCE Permanent Council in its decision no. 244 (23 July 1998) provided the Centre with a broad, open-ended mandate, the implementation of which is subject to annual reviews by the Permanent Council. The mandate embraces the following tasks:
- promoting the implementation of OSCE principles and commitments as well as the co-operation of Turkmenistan within the OSCE framework with special emphasis on the regional context, in all OSCE dimensions, including the economic, environmental, human and political aspects of security and stability;
- facilitating contacts with the Chairman-in-Office, other OSCE Institutions and the OSCE participating States in Central Asia as well as co-operation with international organizations and institutions;
- establishing and maintaining contacts with local authorities, universities, research institutions and NGOs;
- assisting in arranging OSCE regional events, inter alia, regional seminars and visits to the area by OSCE delegations, as well as other events with OSCE participation;
- performing other tasks deemed appropriate by the Chairman-in-Office or other OSCE institutions and agreed on between Turkemenistan and the OSCE.